Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Breast Cancer at 29

29 years old.

29 is too young for breast cancer.

Not that there is a good age for cancer, but 29 is too young. It is supposed to be something that, God forbid, hits later in life. It catches you when your kids are older, and you are closer to retirement.

They wouldn't suggest mammograms starting at 40 if it got you when you were younger...

So imagine our surprise when the doctor told Robin that the biopsy came back positive. "It is breast cancer," he told us.

Amazing how a few words can change the world in a moment.

That was back on November 11th. Veterans Day.
We had figured it was another scare, since women get lumps from time to time, and it was the site of a duct she had had removed the year before. It must be scar tissue, we reassured ourselves, or a cyst of some type.

Not this time.

Cancer.

So where do we go from here? What do we do now? We don't want this, but it looks like you don't get that choice. My wife doesn't want to be that person that when people talk about her, they say, "it's so sad, she's so young and she has three little kids."

We never got to make that choice.

She started her Chemo on Monday, and it is starting to sink in now. Now where do we go from here? What can I do to help her out? What can we do to help others?

I decided I could start running again, I could grow a mustache, I could do all sorts of things which I will detail later, but the thing I can do right now, is to write.

So that's what I'll do.

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you Aaron and Robin. Yes 29 is too young. Like you said it isn't good at any age, but 29 is too young. You are both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete