Friday, October 14, 2011

Small Miracles

Small Miracles are just as good as the big ones.

 On Wednesday, Robin woke up and told me that her legs didn't hurt as bad as they had been. We didn't talk much more about it, so as not to jinx it, but we were definitely excited at the prospect of an increase in her mobility.

 She said she had actually noticed it at first during the night, when she got up to go to the bathroom. I'd forgotten to bring the potty chair into the bedroom, so when she woke up, groggy, she just walked to the bathroom, and didn't think much more about it.

 She still needs the cane for short distances, and the scooter for any type of long mobility, but we will take less pain. It is definitely a start, and a small miracle in my eyes.

 Robin was just telling me the other day was that her mobility was what she missed the most. The pain, you can deal with. Eventually, I guess you just get used to it, and it becomes the new normal for you. The lost mobility, however, isn't as easy to deal with.

 I realize it is something that I take for granted. Even with back pain, and the occasional other aches, I have no real loss of mobility, so I can't even begin to comprehend not being able to chase the kids. When I want to get up, I get up. When I have to run, I run. My legs do what I tell them to.

 That's the thing she misses most. It is a loss of freedom when you really look at it. When your mobility suffers, you end up being a lot more dependent on others. And, as a very independent woman, that has been tough for Robin. We all take for granted being able to do for ourselves.

 So, while she didn't "take up her bedroll and walk", getting up with significantly less pain that she had been dealing with every day is definitely a start we're happy for. Add that to the fact that the tumor on her skull is barely noticeable, and God and the chemo are definitely making things happen.

 Here is to the beach next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment