Friday, July 8, 2011

Cotton and Steel

 "Cotton does not sharpen steel."

One of my friends told me that a few weeks ago, and I keep coming back to it lately. I keep thinking about it, rolling it around in my mind, and it rings true.

 I feel better after venting yesterday. A lot of feelings had been building in my mind, and they just needed to be let loose. Through the outpouring of love from our friends, I am back to my center again. When it comes down to it, none of us understand why we have adversity in our lives, but they sharpen us. Through are adversity, we become stronger. The fire of the Crucible refines us. (oorah!)

 So, here we are. The cancer is elsewhere in Robin's body. This is basically our worst-case scenario, and we are in it. Now we move forward. When trials appear, we move forward, or we die.

 So we move forward.

 Musashi said in his Dokkodo, "Accept everything just the way it is." This is our reality. This is what is. So we accept it and move forward.

 We all have trials and pain, and don't understand why. I don't know why some of my friends have had miscarriages, I don't know why my friend's daughter has an incurable bone disease. I don't know why cancer exists at all.

 But there are only two choices. Fight on, or die.

 We will fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment