Thursday, November 10, 2011

"You Can Rest Now"

 This is the post I never wanted to write. I wanted to write a happy ending to this story, but I guess we don't always get those, do we? As Christians, we eventually get a happy ending, as we know we will meet our loved ones again, since they are resting in Christ.
 Right now, it's hard to take much solace in that, as my heart still aches for my wife. Tomorrow would have been one year since she was diagnosed. It took 364 days for that horrible disease, cancer, to take my beloved from a vibrant young mother to being home with our Savior.
 Today, I was thinking that only last week she was still sitting in the living room with us, and getting around to a certain extent. Two weeks ago, she was even out at our little get-together in the garage.

 Tonight, I go to sleep in an empty bed. A bed that my wife and best friend was in only hours ago. Tonight, I had to explain to my kids that mommy was dead and in heaven. I had to explain that she gets to be an angel now.

 Today, Robin had so much pain. Cancer is a horrible, horrible disease. I realized that before this, I had no real idea what "In Sickness and In Health" meant. It is the good days, and the bad days. It is nursing colds, and dealing with soul achingly terrible days of disease.

 But now, she is at rest. We, who are left behind are poorer by her loss, and heaven is richer for taking her.

 I think I cried most of my tears while she was sick, especially in this last week. I can't describe how hard it is to see the person you talked to every day for almost 12 years lose their ability to talk to you. It broke my heart listen to her try to tell me she loved me. But I knew.

 When Pastor  Harry finished praying, she said "Amen." And She told us all she loved us. I still don't think I ever had enough time to tell her how much I loved her. I don't think I would have even if we both lived into our seventies.

 It's still sinking in, though, even though I have been preparing for it for a while now, or Robin has been preparing me for it. It's hard to wrap your mind and heart around the fact that someone you loved with every ounce of your being isn't there anymore.

 I don't think the Robin shaped hole it my heart will be filled, though, maybe time will get some of the edge off.

 I think the thing I have been struggling with through all of this is what good could possibly come of Robin's fight with cancer, and now her death. Then today, I have gotten a taste of how many people her story has affected. Maybe that is the good? If only one or two lives were touched by our suffering, then it would really give me some solace.

 My real solace now comes from knowing that Robin is resting. Her pain is gone. She has her hair back, she has all her body back. She is free of scars. She is free of cancer.

 The cancer destroyed her body, but it couldn't touch her soul.

 And some how, it's fitting it was on the Marine Corps birthday. Maybe it was just so all my brothers and sisters who have gone before would welcome her dressed in their Blues. "Welcome to Heavenly Battalion Ma'am, you did your time in the trenches, enjoy your R&R."

 Rest now honey. You earned it. We got it from here.


 I love you so much.


                                           Robin Lynne Harris Hrinda 1/21/81- 11/10/11
                                           Beloved wife, mother, daughter, sister. She was a massage
                                           Therapist, a super mommy, a Marine Wife and my best damn friend.

                                            Every Day was a Blessing.

7 comments:

  1. I am so so sorry....I have no words, just, you are all in my thoughts tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your tremendous loss. There are no words. Only love and memories. Semper Fi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your words and your testimony Aaron. You are right...you have no idea how many lives were touched by Robins life and by yours also as you continue to look to God. I have been thinking on, memorizing, and contemplating the words of Psalm 103...and your words this morning fit so much with things God is trying to teach me. Thank you Aaron. you said, "The cancer destroyed Robins body, but it couldnt touch her soul." That is exactly what God has been speaking to me today...that what He really desires to heal is our souls. I have been praying and will continue to pray for you and your sweet family. I am sorrowing with you, and pray that God will be very real and present and will be your comforter.
    Joyce Amick

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps...I meant to share this with you...
    Psalm 103:1-3
    Bless the Lord, o my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, o my soul, and forget not all His benefits. Who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases....
    I praise God with you that today Robin is healed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the pleasure of knowing Robin since childhood and I will always remember her lust for life..may her soul rest now and watch over your family ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not know your family, but I do know some of your close friends and I have been keeping tabs on how this whole struggle Robin was dealing with has been progressing. It saddens me greatly to hear that she has passed but this blog brings tears to my eyes. Not tears of sadness but tears of joy in knowing what a beautiful loving husband she had to carry her through everything. Tears of happiness in knowing that her children have an amazing father who will be more than capable of taking care of them. You are an amazing person, I don't have to know you to know that. I wish you and your family peace. It is not easy to lose the ones we love no matter how much relief it brings to them, it still hurts to have them taken from us long before we expected. May you always have peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 17 May 2018


    Aaron:

    I was looking at our our fourth grade yearbook photos from B.C.S., and thought I'd look you up on Google to see what you looked like, and, perhaps, see what you've been up to.

    (I cancelled all of my social media accounts years ago, as I don't have the same appreciation for that detritus that some do — that's why you won't find me on Facebook.)

    I located only four actual, somewhat recent photographs, but I discovered two incredible portraits painted masterfully in words: imagery of the wife who Robin was, and the fine, upstanding man that you've apparently become.

    You were my best friend in grade school; in truth, my only friend.

    I'm glad that Robin was able to befriend one of the coolest dudes who I've ever known, an individual who I'm sure relentlessly carried her through her suffering, as he carried me physically on his back on the playground as we played "rhino riders," to the exasperation of Mrs. Hayman.

    This post is, obviously, over seven years too late, as before today, I didn't know what I didn't know.

    I hope that you are doing well, man — give your kids a hug from a guy who thought, and still thinks, the world of their dad.

    - Jason A. Marzewski

    ReplyDelete